If you would like users on your windows 7 (Non-Home edition) PC to be able to run only few applications like MS word, EXCEL, FireFox etc. , you can make use of the new windows- Run Only specified Applications function.
- First click on Start button and type gpedit.msc into the search box and Enter.
- Now go to User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System. Find Setting and scroll down and double click on Run only specified Windows applications.
- Set this option to Enabled and below Options section click on ‘Show’ next to List of allowed applications.
- A dialog comes up where windows asks you to type in the apps name(winword.exe,firefox.exe etc ) that should be allowed to run on your machine.
- Click OK and then close out of Local Group Policy Editor.
- Now when a user tries to run an application that is not on the specified list they will receive the following error message.
“The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator”.