Free DNS Hosting Services
Usually all domain registrars do not provide DNS hosting service to the domains purchasers. Infact most of the time domain name registrars will ask domain name registrants to buy additional service for DNS hosting service. If they offer free DNS service, then most of the time they increase the markup price for the domain registration i.e. they add up the DNS fee to domain registration.
The domain Registrant can either set up his own DNS hosting server , or host the DNS entries for the domains in external free or paid DNS hosting services.
Now DNS Hosting becomes tricky when you don’t have a static IP of your own, like me. Especially when your starting a new site or you are reluctant to pay that hefty amount for a static IP when you are not sure , if your business or website will do well. The solution for this problem, lies in trying one of the many free Dynamic DNS providers available on world wide web. I have been using DNSEXIT services, for my forum for a month now and I feel quite satisfied with the results so far.
If I get good response from the forum I would definitely go for a premium service.
Lets continue the discussion on DNS hosting service providers, That I statrted in one of my previous [cref what-is-dns-hosting-service posts]. There are plenty of free DNS hosting service providers available on Internet, with different level of reliability, number of DNS servers, location of DNS servers, amount and number of DNS records and record types, static or dynamic DNS (DDNS), refresh rate of DNS records, update speed of DNS records, support for dynamic IP address, acceptable usage policy, different control panel user interface, accept top or second level domain (domain.com) or/and third level domain (user.dns.com), spam policy and etc. As free web DNS hosting is free, so everybody can use it for any custom DNS anytime from any place.
For various reasons list below, webmasters can use the free DNS hosting for.
- ISP unable to provide DNS host or going to change ISP in future.
- Own name server unable to take the load of DNS resolving requests.
- Want to have more control over DNS records.
- Need DNS name servers that located in USA or closer to North America Internet backbones.
- Newbies who just started in web publishing or new in DNS server administration, so not familiar with workflow or working logic of Internet DNS system. So it’s better not do do it yourself, and using free DNS hosting is good alternative.
- Want to ensure and improve reliability and accessibility of the domain with secondary secondary DNS servers. In the case of primary DNS servers down or unavailable due to network problems, resolvers will fallback to secondary DNS entries.
- To set up multiple DNS servers at different geographical location to ensure that different regions will have fastest resolution of the domain name.
- Want a publicly-accessible DNS name servers outside of firewall which blocks current name server.
- Just need a specific DNS record such as MX records where setting up a new name server or paid service is too costly.
- Want to save money or don’t want to pay money to subscribe for a paid DNS hosting service such as DynDNS.com and NoIP.com.
Whatever is your reason, here’s a list of free DNS hosting or NS service providers if you need one. Not that those DNS service or dynamic DNS services only supports shared third level hostname (i.e username.dns-subdomain.com) and not self own (core) fully qualified top and second level domain name are excluded from the list.
- dnsEXIT – provides reliable DNS Services free to top level domains for both business and internet users. The DNS supports Dynamic IP that means users will be able to run your own website, ftp, or mail servers via DSL, cable modem lines with dynamic IP. Features DNS Tools record creation wizard.
- ZoneEdit – Provides free managed DNS service and secondary name service with servers in US and Europe. Also offers free WebForward domain forwarding, MailForward email forwarding, starter web page and domain parking. Supports dynamic DNS (DDNS) and failover or load balancing. Free service limited to maximum 5 domains.
- XName – Provides primary and secondary name servers, which hosted on 3 name servers. Supports IPv6 AAAA records, .in-addr.arpa zones (PTR records), automatic modification of associated reverse (or normal) zone, dynamic update, and automatic refresh.
- EveryDNS – Provides static free DNS services as well as many advanced services such as Dynamic DNS resolution, Secondary service, AXFR service, and domain2web redirection.
- DNS Park – Current promotion in AdWords campaign is offering free services just to try DNS Park service. The free service tokens do not expire so users can use them forever. Free services available are DNS Hosting, Mail Guiding, Web Guiding and Web Camping.
- Bur.st Networking – Provides domain hosting and domain seconding (secondary DNS), complete with mail hosting and backup mail server. Bur.st has a number of redundant name-servers, located at logicaly and physicaly separate sites. Only available to those physically live in Australia.
- EditDNS – Free DNS hosting supports A, CNAME, MX, NS, SRV, TXT, PTR, and AAAA records, backup DNS, dynamic DNS, sub-domains, web forwarding, e-mail forwarding, email hosting, e-mail backup, MX re-routing, and spam and virus email filtering. Europe and US nameservers available.
- freeDNS.afraid.org – Free dynamic DNS and static DNS services, subdomain hosting, domain hosting, backup DNS, forward and reverse IPv6 DNS hosting (both .int and .arpa) and URL redirection or web forwarding. Support unlimited number of domains per account, all TLD, and record types including CNAME, A, AAAA, MX, NS, TXT, LOC, RP, HINFO, SRV records. Also features round robin DNS supported for load balancing and URL cloaking redirection. Users can edit TTL, Minimum, Allow/Deny AXFR’s, and approve/disapprove others from using hosts on your domain.
- DynDNS.dk – Current pricing for DNS Pro service is free which enables users to manage all name related aspects for own domain names. Include special features such as dynamic updateable IP-addresses and browser request forwarding (to another URL). All the standard name server settings (A-, CNAME-, MX-records etc.) can be controlled.
- Gratis DNS – Free DNS service in Danish language.
- Granite Canyon – The free public DNS service offers both primary and secondary DNS.
- miniDNS – Provides hosting for your own top-level domain name, support dynamic IP to fixed domain name mapping, and web based DNS record management.
- MyDomain – Sign up and register a free account to use the free web-based DNS Management service. No purchase necessary. Also included free e-mail forwarding, unmasked, masked or banner supported URL forwarding.
- Sitelutions – Free internationally redundant high-quality NS server for DNS (dynamic and static), URL redirection or forwarding). Supports domain parking and domain locking and using easy web-based control for DNS and redirection settings. Allows low TTL settings and instant dynamic updates.
- Twisted4Life – Free secondary DNS for domains which users have control of its DNS settings on primary DNS server.
- VCSWEB – Free DNS Service (a Primary and a Secondary) which support both static or dynamic IP address, with an easy to use interface that even beginners can use, whilst not restricting the more advanced users. All changes has real-time updates.
- VDirect – Offers free virtual web, domain and email redirection service, with cloaking and website statistics features. Advertising supported using a banner at bottom of redirected page, popup banner, or a banner delay page. Paid service for no adverts.