If the boot record need to be repaired
- Boot from the Vista installation CD
- Although they are likely set correctly, select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click on Next.
- Click Repair your computer
- Click the operating system, and then click Next.
- In System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
- At the command prompt, type in Bootrec with the option you want , and then press the ENTER key.
The /FixMbr option writes a windows vista.-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector.
The boot sector is damaged.
An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
Typically you would run either bootrec /fixmbr or bootrec /fixboot